The writing system used for the different dialects of Hmong is based on the Latin alphabet and only dates back to the 1950s.
Hmong is the language of the Hmong ethnic group that has a rich history and is spoken by millions of people nowadays. Hmong translation is a challenging service to perform for both translators and DTP due to the fact that it is a tonal language with complex phonology and many different dialects. Language facts that affect Hmong translation to English and other languages:
The complexity of Hmong translation
1. The written language > Translation Service
- The dialects: The two main ones are Hmong Njua (Green Hmong) and Hmong Daw (White Hmong). They are mainly spoken by Hmong Americans. While the speakers of both dialects can understand each other, there are still differences between them. That is one of the reasons for our recommendation about being extra careful with Hmong translation.
- The tone: There are 8 tones (though some say there are 7). There is a high tone, low tone, and even a low falling tone. Regardless of the tone of a word, the final printed word will have an indication of which tone should be used when that word is to be spoken.
- The difference: The written form of Hmong is vastly different from the spoken and that poses a challenge. It is written in the Latin alphabet but the spelling is not phonetically-alike. For example, Sib ntsib dua means “Goodbye” but it’s pronounced She jee doua.
1-StopAsia’s solution for you
1. Native translators with local knowledge.
1-StopAsia has regular access to native and professional linguists for the Hmong translation to English and other languages. Furthermore, our experienced Project Managers are carefully trained to monitor your projects to minimize mistakes and maximize quality. Our Quality Assurance process ensures that your translation is translated and reviewed by a team with specific experience on the subject required. This process allows us to work smoothly and efficiently to produce the best work for you, anytime!
2. 20 years of experience.
For over 2 decades in the industry, we’ve cultivated a team of Project Managers who have an in-depth understanding of the industry and most importantly, have access to a robust and agile project management system. They’re always there to handle your inquiries, save you time and deliver great quality translations within the allotted time for each assignment.
REQUEST A FREE QUOTE
We, at 1-StopAsia, are aware that responsiveness and excellent project management are the essence when working within the translation industry.
If you feel it is time to improve your time-management and pay more attention to your clients, get in contact with our Production Team and check how we can help you achieve it.
Ask us anything you need to know about:
- quotes and pricing
- translations and media services
- Asian languages
Start your new project with us today! All you have to do is fill in the form on the right and get your free quote.