“For the translation industry, desktop publishing (DTP) is an essential part of the whole work process.”
When it comes to having one text in multiple languages and afterwards having the same outer layout or formatting, Desktop Publishing (often abbreviated DTP) is a must so you get the same result in all languages. Add the Asian languages and their diversity into the mix and things become even more complicated.
Why is it always complicated with Asian languages?
One of the most important factors when preparing marketing materials or any written document in another language is the way you choose to display text.
Asian languages are very specific in this regard, and can actually be quite difficult to handle. Due to the difference in the writing systems and the space distribution of some of them like Chinese, Japanese and Korean, we often perform desktop publishing after the translation is finalized. That way we can adjust the way the information is displayed in the target language and fit it to the way foreign audiences are used to see it.
One of the most prominent differences between English for example and Japanese is the way text is displayed. The vertical writing of the Japanese characters leads to different layouts of the displayed information and therefore some information.
Another example is that some Asian languages like Korean don’t use italics and a skilled DTP will know how to replace this.
If we take a language like Vietnamese , even though it is using the Romanized alphabet, there are certain specifics, which come from the fact that it is a tonal language, while the Romanized alphabet is not meant for such a language. To compensate, the Vietnamese language uses a lot of diacritics which requires the use of very well developed fonts with all diacritics available.
And last but not least, there are special fonts used for some of the Asian languages, which do not come with MS Office or with the operational systems used in the US or Europe.
What is different in DTP with 1-StopAsia?
- Language expertise – Our DTP experts know the languages they work with. Furthermore, it is a big advantage that they can read the languages, so they can discover the small details that make a difference. As an example, characters that have to stay together or small combinations of characters that can not have spaces between them.
- Language rules – Sometimes the Asian punctuations and paragraph rules can pose a big challenge to a person from outside of Asia due to the fact that they are different from other Alphabet based languages.
- Local knowledge – We know the trends in the local markets and customs, so we can be up-to-date with them. Whenever it is required, we can follow exact local specifics for our clients, so the final product is fitting your purposes.
- Trends – very often the secret lies in the right choice of fonts. The Asian fonts that European clients use are often very old. In this case, even if you are the most modern company, using the wrong font in Asia will present your materials look like they are from the 1970s.
Quality Assurance Team
Quality has always been the main pain point when it comes to translation since forever. As a solution, we have recently implemented a Quality Assurance step within our translation services. It is in compliance with our ISO 9001/2015 and ISO 17100 certifications, which are already adopted since 2018.
The QA step is applied to at least 10% of our total translations and is an internal step we are committed to performing on a regular basis. We believe that identifying a potential issue on time is of the essence when it comes to being a professional in the industry.
Here is why to work with 1-StopAsia:
We give you time to take care of your clients
We are a single-stop for all Asian languages
We keep up with your projects’ handover
REQUEST A FREE QUOTE
We, at 1-StopAsia, are aware that responsiveness and excellent project management are the essence when working within the translation industry.
If you feel it is time to improve your time-management and pay more attention to your clients, get in contact with our Production Team and check how we can help you achieve it.
Ask us anything you need to know about:
- quotes and pricing
- translations and media services
- Asian languages
Start your new project with us today! All you have to do is fill in the form on the right and get your free quote.